Saturday, January 6, 2007


So here's my belated Christmas post:

My winter break from work started out fun. December 20, 21, and 22 I spent with food poisoning. That was fun. I'd rather not think about it now...

The Saturday before Christmas we packed up the car with our luggage, presents for family, and the pup and headed up to my parents' place for the holiday. Along the way on Highway 50 before Echo Summit we stopped to give Ayla her first taste of snow. I think she hated it. All her toes were splayed out to keep her balance on the slippery hard pack, and she was very unimpressed when Chris lifted her over the burm and put her in the snow. She shivered so hard! We felt bad and she wouldn't do her business, so we packed back in to the car and got on our way. Dobermans aren't built for cold weather, especially princesses!

Ayla walked into my parents' house like she owned the place, which she pretty much did. She followed my dad around like his little shadow and play bowed for him all the time; she really enjoyed playing with Clayton; and she got lots of love from my mom. And Ayla absolutely loves hanging out with Phantom and watching what he does. He's a great influence. :)

Chris' dad, Don, came up on Christmas morning. Ayla didn't quite know what to think of him, I doubt she's ever met anyone so tall. We all opened some really nice gifts (thanks, Clay - I wear my new gloves every day!). We had some great appetizers during the day and played the Monopoly Here & Now Edition. All the pieces, properties, etc., are updated to current times and players can make side deals, and it was a blast. I was this close to beating Don, but in the end he prevailed. Beginner's luck I say! :)

Then we cooked a wonderful Christmas dinner. My dad fried a turkey in the backyard and everyone gathered to watch the lowering of the bird into the oil and the later removal of said bird. It was really quick, tasted great, and who can resist the danger of boiling oil and an open flame in the backyard? We also had stuffing, mashed potatoes with gravy, and salad. For dessert, we had pumpkin cheesecake and apple pie. Yummy!

We all left the next day. When Chris and I got home, Gretel let us know how upset she was to be left over Christmas and meowed all night! But she was happy to have us home and became the snuggle-bug she usually is.

We spent the rest of our break on another home-improvement blitz. I painted the bathroom and a wall in the kitchen. We installed a new bathroom light that we picked up at Costco which matches our bathroom decor quite nicely. We cleaned out a bunch of stuff and got everything organized. We bought a new entertainment center and put it together, painted it, and made our living room nice. I'm sure there's more we did, but its all a blur now!

The first week back at work was pretty busy for both of us, and Ayla is getting re-settled with our usual schedule. The weather was rainy and cold during the week, but its beautiful now. This weekend has been great so far. I've sold a couple things on Craig's List that we no longer needed, and extra money is always good. And Chris and I kicked a@! just now playing Gears of War on XBox Live against Clay and my dad. Love you Dad, don't take it too hard! :)

Anyway, more of the same expected for tomorrow. Hope everyone had a great holiday season and Chris and I send out our best wishes for a spectacular New Year!

No comments: