Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ordinary Moments


I recently came across the website of Darrah Parker, a Seattle-based photographer who take some wonderful pictures of people (via The Mrs., another blog I enjoy reading and who takes some lovely photos as well). Darrah has created Slice of Life Tuesdays "...in which I provide a little inspiration and a gentle nudge, encouraging you to find the beauty in your everyday life." This really resonates with how I try to view things, so today I'm playing along.

Today's theme is Ordinary Moments. My day to day generally goes like this: wake up, get ready for work, take care of the pets, commute, work, commute, do something fun with Ayla, make dinner, good off for the rest of the evening (except for Thursday nights, when I have band practice). I've been listening to a lot of podcasts on my commute, since is kind of long, and I've really been enjoying it. Lately its been This American Life, Stuff You Should Know, Stuff You Missed in History Class, and The Moth. I love that I can turn a very ordinary moment, at least for a Californian, into something entertaining, educational, and just enjoyable.

Another ordinary moment for me, and one in which I find a lot of beauty, are my outings with Ayla. We often hike the hill behind our home, which has great views of the valley; or walk in the neighborhood or on the golf course, where I often find something small that catches my eye; or head to the dog park where I enjoy seeing all the variations in the canine world. A couple days ago we did the hill, and I took a few pictures while we were up there. We saw the turkeys (I love hearing them gobbling around our place), and I snapped a picture of Ayla mid-run, where she just looked happy. These are quite ordinary moments for us, but they always make me smile.



No comments: