Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Larsons Hit the Town

As I said last time, I've been battling a cold for a number of weeks now. Its mostly gone, but I'm still coughing and have a bit of a frog in my throat. While I stayed home sick, Ayla and Mac kept me company on the couch, under covers. Good dogs.

Sympathetic pooches

Earlier this week my mom and dad come to visit. They arrived on Wednesday just in time to see me perform with the USS Hornet Band. I guess its once a parent, always a parent since they took photos and video of the performance. :) I need to bug them for one of the photos they took (hint, hint Dad). That night Chris and I took to them The Pearl Garden for dinner, our favorite Chinese place here in San Ramon that has the best veggie dishes.

Thursday Chris had to work, so we did a few things around San Ramon. We took their new Toyota Prius to the car wash, and I took them to Bay Books, my favorite used book store. I'm reading Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series, which is absolutely addictive, and I needed the next book since I'd read the previous one in only about four hours. Then we picked up a spanakopita plate at Mykonos Mediterranean Grill for a light lunch and took the dogs for a walk.

Thursday afternoon we hopped on BART and headed in to San Francisco. Mom and Dad had never seen the Nordstrom Mall so we wandered around a bit, taking in the 8 or so floors of curving escalators. Then Stef met up with us at First Crush for dinner. The restaurant is a tiny place with a bar and some tables at street level, and a lounge and more tables downstairs. The food was absolutely wonderful. We started with drinks and bread and pesto. Next was salads: us girls had the chilled beet salad which was fresh and juicy while Dad has the green salad that was topped with the best slice of blue cheese I've ever tasted. I had the risotto which was drizzled with brown butter (oh my god was that good!), Dad had the chicken, Mom had the ravioli, and Stef had the fish. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their entrees, and I liked the brown butter so much I made some to put over mashed potatoes last night. Stef, Dad and I had the chocolate espresso pots du creme for dessert and Mom had the lemon tart - all perfect caps to the meal. We left absolutely stuffed, too!


After dinner we walked down to the Orpheum Theater to see Wicked. I have been so excited to see this musical since I read the book a few years back and found out it was turned into a Broadway show. Last fall I heard it was coming back to SF, so I immediately rallied the troops and bought tickets. Stef's mom was supposed to join us, but unfortunately couldn't make it so my Dad came in her place. He said that he was glad Mom Schafer couldn't make it because he had been jealous! The theater is gorgeous, with an ornately carved ceiling and plaster work. The set for Wicked was amazing, the show was amazing, the production was just huge. All I can say is, wow! I wish I was going again tonight.


Friday we met up with Chris for lunch at Fuddruckers before Mom and Dad had to head back home. I furiously knit the entire morning and was able to finish Mom's birthday blanket and give it to her before they left. This is the Lion Brand Cable Comfort Throw, knit with a little over eight balls of Wool-Ease Thick & Quick in Denim. I like knitting blankets with this yarn since its so soft and squishy. The pattern is easy and quick (this took me about a month to complete). The only modification I made was knitting it all at once on a circular needle instead of in five separate strips that get sewn together.


The dogs were worn out after Mom and Dad left. Its a lot of work entertaining the visiting humans! They snoozed in the sunshine Friday afternoon to recuperate.


And last night I was messing around on the computer when Gretel tried to climb into my lap. I pushed her away since I didn't feel like having twelve pounds of feline on me right then. A few minutes later I turn next to me and see this:

Apparently Gretel found a better place to rest.

Thanks Mom, Dad, and Stef for going to the show with me. It was great seeing everyone!

2 comments:

Michelle A'etonu said...

i'm so glad you're feeling better. you had quite an eventful week! i sooooo wish i was in CA instead of El Paso. there's so much more to do! i love the pictures of your pets. the one with Gretel is too cute.

Liz and Kurt said...

I can't wait to come visit!!! I think it will be just me, so we'll have a girl's weekend :)