Wednesday, May 12, 2010

More Muffins


I'm starting to think I might have a problem. A problem with pumpkin. And muffins. Combined. Seriously, whenever I think about making muffins the first thing I want to include is pumpkin. I think pumpkin helps make muffins super moist, but I don't have any science to back this up. But I also like the fiber and good stuff that pumpkin lends to a muffin, as well as the taste. Maybe this isn't quite a problem after all.


These muffins have a soft nutty flavor from the buckwheat flour, and are studded with juicy tart-sweet blueberries and melty, gooey chocolate chips.


Pumpkin Blueberry Chocolate Chip Muffins

Makes 12 muffins
Heavily adapted from a generic muffin recipe

1 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 c. buckwheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 c. canned pumpkin
1/3 c. melted butter
2 large eggs
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. frozen blueberries
1 c. chocolate chips

Put oven in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with muffin cups.

Whisk together pumpkin, butter, eggs, cinnamon, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl until smooth, then whisk in flours and baking powder mixture until just combined.

Divide batter among muffin cups (each should be about three-fourths full). Bake until puffed and golden brown and wooden pick or skewer inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
Cool in pan on a rack five minutes, then transfer muffins from pan to rack and cool to warm or room temperature. I popped all of mine in the freezer, and nuke them real quick when the muffin-urge strikes me.

 I would like to walk down this pink muffin-scented hall

Related recipes:

1 comment:

Run Lori Run said...

This is a much healthier version than mine so I MUST try it!