Thursday, October 16, 2008

I Love Breakfast

Unfortunately, Christopher isn't a big breakfast person, especially sweets, so I don't cook breakfasts very often. However, this past weekend I made Ina Garten's Easy Cheese Danish, which Val chose for Barefoot Bloggers. The only change to the recipe I made is halving it. I don't know what I'd do with 8 danish.

By the way, when I last bought eggs the checker asked me if I like the brown ones better than the white ones. I told him that I like the organic, cage-free, vegetarian ones better. Chickens are actually omnivores, they eat insects, but I'd rather they weren't made to eat other chickens so I'll do what I can without having my own coop.

The ingredients

First you cream together the cream cheese and sugar.

Like making cheesecake

Then you add egg yolk, ricotta, vanilla, salt, and lemon zest (use organic lemons if possible since you're using the outer peel).


And mix well without whipping up the cream cheese.

Smooth, sweet, lemony, and creamy

Roll out a sheet of puff pastry to about 10" x 10". Puff pastry is quite easy to work with and very impressive once its baked up. One day I'll try to make my own.

Approximately square-ish

You cut the sheet in quarters, divide the cheese mixture in the middles of the quarters, fold over opposing sides, and brush it all with an egg wash. Then they go in the fridge for 15 minutes to firm up.

These puppies are huge

Bake them for 20 minutes, et voilĂ , cheese danish!

Yum!

These are very easy to make. I don't know that I'd make them for myself again, but if I had guests it would be a relatively simple breakfast. I'd add some jam or pie filling on top of the cheese mixture next time too; I'm thinking cherry would be especially good. And I would make them smaller as well - maybe six danish from one sheet of puff pastry instead of four.

I was sitting on the patio eating a danish Sunday morning, with a big cup of coffee and a book, dogs salivating at my feet, when Chris actually joined me with his own danish. His verdict: savory would be better. :)

5 comments:

chocolatechic said...

Looks wonderful.

I didn't read the directions properly and didn't fold mine right.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I agree they are a great recipe for guests. Great pictures--your Danish turned out very well!

Suzie said...

They look lovely - I'm more a savoury girl myself as well, but I did think this would be nice to have a weekend brunch with friends.

Michelle A'etonu said...

these look so delicious! i'm going to have to make them!

webbie said...

They look great. I love cheese Danish and its nice knowing I can make my own with relative ease.