Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Little of This, A Little of That

Thinking about what I did this weekend, it seems like a lot now!

Last weekend I got my hair cut, and I suppose I got what I deserved for going to a cheapie hair salon. I'm in the process of growing my hair out since cutting off 11 inches last winter, and its at the awkward stage where it likes to flip up on the ends as it hits my back and shoulders. I asked for something more even, and ended up with tons of layers that looked awful and the front chopped off. It was so awful I had to go buy shoes to feel better. I didn't want to go back for fear she would make it worse and it would be too short to fix again. Chris teased me about my quasi-mullet all week. Seriously, it was that bad! This weekend I called up the fancy salon where I got last winter's cut, and my new stylist was able to fix it, thank goodness. The previous layers were cut all wrong and choppy, but now they look nice. She had to cut off an additional 3 inches, but it should grow out nicely now. Crisis averted!

After my hair appointment I headed to the mall. I like to shop, but rarely find anything I like enough to buy, and I'm cheap when it comes to clothes for myself (though not for Chris... hmm). I ended up with a few cute things for myself this time, and nothing for Chris! It was really busy at the mall for some reason, but I enjoyed myself.

Saturday night I cooked up some minestrone soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. The weather is definitely cooler now, which means its time for lots of soup! I used the recipe from my Bittman book, with some of the extra butternut squash I chopped and froze from the risotto last week, zucchini and summer squash, and frozen peas and chopped spinach. I usually see pasta in minestrone, and this recipe didn't call for any. I have a ton of soup left over, so I'll toss some pasta in next time.

Comfort food

Today I made a quick run to the store for a few things and spent the rest of the day cooking, knitting, and reading (The Omnivore's Dilemma while cooking and World War Z otherwise). I'm making progress on my Cable-Down Raglan. At first I worried that it would be too small, but now I'm thinking it might turn out too big. I'll just keep going and see what happens. This shot is three balls in, the sleeves are on waste yarn and I'll finish them when I'm done with the body of the sweater, and I've begun the waist cables:

Cable-Down Raglan

For breakfast I made danishes for Barefoot Bloggers, but more on those later this week. For lunch I threw together black bean and cheese taquitos, with my homemade salsa and guacamole as well as store-bought tomatillo salsa, for dipping. I baked these to be a bit healthier, but they'd be great fried.

Mmm... taquitos!

Mac spent most of the day in the kitchen with me. He sleeps on this rug Chris got from his Grammy years and years ago, hoping that I drop something and he can snatch it up before I get to it. This infrequent payoff must be worth it, because I'm always stepping on him or hitting his bum with the fridge door.

I can haz hot dog?

After lunch and some knitting/reading time, I made a bunch of cookies: two dozen of Martha Stewart's Outrageous Chocolate Cookies and three dozen Lemonade Cookies. I had to try out my new cookie scoop I picked up at Macy's, and am in love. It makes perfect, round, same-sized cookies and it much easier than using two spoons. The lemonade cookies are basically sugar cookies with lemonade concentrate added. They are light and fluffy, and the lemon flavor is nice. The chocolate cookies are one of my favorites. I first found the recipe when I had a subscription to Martha's Everyday Food magazine. I loved this magazine, and while the recipes are available online it was always nice to thumb through the pages each month too. I've given this as a gift subscription a few times and really recommend it for someone looking for good basic recipes and wanting to learn more about cooking.

Sugar overload

This evening I took the beasts out to play fetch. If there's only one ball Ayla will grab it and run home. I've found that if I take two balls, and one squeaker ball, I can get the dogs to play fetch and actually bring the ball back to me when I squeak the squeaker ball. Its a lot easier to get them running and burning energy off that way, and a lot more fun for me. Otherwise Mac is always trying to steal Ayla's ball, or they're standing there chewing on the tennis balls but won't drop them for me. We have a really nice lawn area to play on too, overlooking the golf course and by the spa.

Smiley dogs



By the way, my new dish soap is green apple scented. Whenever I wash dishes it makes me think of the dogs' shampoo, which is also green apple. Washing dishes makes me think of washing dogs, a very odd association.

4 comments:

Michelle A'etonu said...

you make such great food! wish I lived with ya! i'm glad you had such a great weekend.

Misty said...

If we lived anywhere near each other I think we'd both be in trouble. :)

Liz and Kurt said...

nope, I'd be in trouble because you two would do all the cooking and I'd do all the eating! Those cookies look yummy! (is it bad that I had to google raglan to know what it was?)

Misty said...

I need to send you some cookies. And raglan is just a type of sweater construction. If you don't sew or knit I wouldn't expect you to know it. :)