Monday, March 22, 2010

Saffron Orzo Salad

I was wondering what to make for dinner the other night, when I saw 101 Cookbooks' saffron pasta salad. I think it was serendipity, since I had what I needed on hand to make an approximation. The vinaigrette has a different taste to it than I am used to thanks to the saffron - an earthy, spicy undertone. And I love the color this spice adds to dishes. Here's my version; definitely go check out how Heidi made hers too. On another note, my food photography has been rather craptastic lately...


Saffron Orzo Salad
Adapted from 101 Cookbooks
Serves 3-4

1/4 c. cooking sherry
1/2 tsp. saffron threads
1 garlic clove, smashed
1/2 tsp. salt
2 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. Dijon mustard (I misread and used 2 Tbsp., and it was good)
1/2 c. olive oil
1 tsp. honey
12 oz. dried orzo
1 lb. brocolli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
Gorgonzola cheese and chopped chives to serve

Dressing: Combine the sherry and saffron to a small saucepan and bring just to a simmer. Remove from heat immediately and let cool. Sprinkle the garlic clove with the salt and mash it into a paste. In a mixing bowl combine the garlic paste with the cooled sherry/saffton, lemon juice, and mustard. Gradually whisk in the olive oil. Taste, and add the honey if you want it a bit sweeter.

Cook the orzo per directions, adding the broccoli a few minutes before it is done. Drain well. Toss the pasta with the saffron vinaigrette, and let rest for least 30 minutes. Toss again, and serve topped with chives and gorgonzola.

Related recipes:
Cheater's Risotto
Butternut Squash Risotto
Lemony Spinach and Orzo Soup  

1 comment:

Run Lori Run said...

How did you know I just bought saffron threads???
I had hoped to make paella with it but this sounds great too! Thanks for your unique recipes!