Monday, March 1, 2010

Garbanzo Sandwich Spread

 

One of the foods I kind of miss as a vegetarian is tuna sandwiches. What I miss is not the tuna, but the creamy tuna/relish/mayo mixture topped with melty cheddar and crispy greens. This sandwich spread replicates what I like about tuna sandwiches without the meat and fishy taste.

Garbanzo Sandwich Spread
Serves 3 or 4

1 can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
2-3 Tbsp. mayo
1-2 Tbsp. whole-grain mustard 
2-3 Tbsp. chopped onion
2-3 Tbsp. chopped parsley
1-2 Tbsp. sweet relish
Garlic powder, sea salt, and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until roughly combined. It should be slightly chunky, like tuna salad. Serve as a sandwich spread, or as a dip with crackers, or however else tickles your pickle.

I used some chopped dill pickles this time since I'm out of relish, and it was good too. I made sandwiches by putting the garbanzo spread on toasted sourdough, putting sliced cheddar cheese on top, and broiling until the cheese is melty. Then I topped it with mixed organic greens and sliced grape tomatoes. This makes a tasty vegetarian tuna melt. If you want a fishier flavor you can add kelp or dulse to the mixture too.


2 comments:

Sook said...

Oh I love garbanzo beans! The spread is such a great idea! Can't wait to try it.

Sara said...

looks lovely, sandwiches are just the greatest.